Non-Immigrant Visa

A nonimmigrant visa is the visa issued to persons with a permanent residence outside the U.S. but who wishes to be in the U.S. on a temporary basis (i.e. Tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work, or study.)

Furthermore, non-immigrant visas are issued to persons wishing to travel to the United States temporarily who are not eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Who can use the Visa Waiver Program?

Citizens of certain countries, including Japan, who are traveling to the U.S. for 90 days or less for business or tourism may not need a visa. For information on persons eligible to travel visa free to the United States, see Visa Waiver Program page.

Who needs a Visa?

Anyone not eligible to enter the United States on the Visa Waiver Program will be required to get a visa.

Please note that travelers born in the United States and those who hold dual citizenship with the United States must enter and depart the United States on U.S. passports. A national of the United States shall not be issued a visa or other documentation as an alien for entry into the United States


Immigrant Visas
Persons wishing to reside permanently in the United States will need an immigrant visa.

Family-based Immigrant Visa:

  • Immediate Relatives
  • Family Preference (certain relatives of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents)

For spouses of US citizens and US lawful permanent residents applying for family-based immigrant visas, please peruse “Information on the Legal Rights Available to Immigrant Victims of Domestic Violence in the United States and Facts about Immigrating on a Marriage-Based Visa”. This information is available in English and 14 other languages including Japanese.

Employment-based Immigrant Visa 

Diversity Visas for winners of the DV lottery

Scroll to Top